How to Correct Birth Certificate Errors, Wrong Spelling, in the Philippines

There is an easy way on how to correct typo errors in your birth certificate whether it’s a wrong spelling on first name, middle name, and even in your surname. You can do this without going to court.

Does your birth certificate contain typographical errors like wrong spelling? News5 Everywhere has shared very easy steps to correct typo errors on the aforementioned document.

how to correct birth certificate errors

According to Attorney Mel Sta. Maria and Cherryl Bayle anyone who has encountered such problem can simply request for correction by visiting the local civil registrar of the municipality where the birth certificate was registered.

The attorney added that there is no need going to court just for that matter.

Listen to the audio conversation courtesy of News5 Everywhere. You can do so by visiting their official website.

Here is the transcript in case you don’t want to leave this blog:

Listener: “Mali po ang spelling ng first, middle, at surname ko sa birth certificate, ano po gagawin ko?”
Attorney Mel Sta. Maria: “Basta’t ho mali, maling spelling lang, spelling lang, wrong spelling, typo, typographical error. Doon lang po kayo pupunta sa local civil registrar at papa-correct nyo lang po ang spelling na iyan.” “Basta typo error lang po, clerical lang po iyan, hindi na po kayo pupunta sa korte, sa local civil registrar na lang po.”

Who Shall File the Petition to Correct Birth Certificate Clerical Errors

According to National Statistics Office of the Philippines website, anyone can file a request for petition of correction for clerical error of the document, provided that he/she is the owner, spouse of the owner, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, and guardians. If other person will file the petition, he / she should be duly authorized by law and by the owner of the documents that needs correction.

If the person is a minor, physically, or mentally incapable to file his / own petition, it can be filed by relatives such as children, spouse, parents, siblings, grand parents, or person duly authorized by law.

Where to File the Petition

The owner (or any authorized person) of the birth certificate was born in the Philippines, he / she can visit the respective civil registry office of the municipality where the birth was registered. If the owner has somehow migrated to other locations in the Philippines, he / she can file the petition to the civil registry office of the municipality where he / she is currently residing.

If the owner was born overseas, he / she should file the petition to the Philippine consulate where the birth was reported.

Documents Needed when Filing for Correction of Birth Certificate Errors

Before visiting the civil registry office, the owner or any authorized person should bring copies of supporting documents such as:

  1. Certified machine copy of the birth certificate that needs correction
  2. Bring two valid documents such as:
    – Baptismal certificate
    – Business records
    – Certificate of land transfer
    – Civil registry records of ascendants
    – Drivers license
    – Employment records
    – GSIS / SSS records
    – Insurance
    – Medical records
    – Account passbook from banks
    – Police and NBI clearance
    – Voters affidavit
  3. Notice or certificate of posting
  4. Payment for filing fee of P1000 or its equivalent in foreign currency
  5. Other documents needed by the civil registry office

For other details please visit National Statistics Office of the Philippines. Credits to News5 Everywhere for the audio content.

in How to
2 comments… add one
  • Henry Buragay July 8, 2019, 6:34 am

    I’ve done the process in my birth place local civil registry with all the back up original documents such as passport, PRC certificate, PRC ID, Diploma, TOR, Marriage Certificate, SSS ID, OFW ID, Pag-Ibig ID, Driving License, Land Title, Condo Title, my family passports, etc., but no success. They told me to follow the typo error birth certificate and change all my documents including my family. A useless local civil registrar.

  • Lee August 27, 2019, 3:38 pm

    Went to LCR and filed my petition to correct the entry of my name in my daughter’s BC. They already forwarded the petition to Legal Department in QC however until now it’s still for review. Their process is so frutration. Been calling them 2 weeks after receiving my petition and encoding it took almost 2 months. I wish they have ways to expedite the process. I need the correction soon.

Leave a Comment